- Release 2.1
- ONIX for Books Supply Update, Release 1.0
- Release 2.0
- Release 1.2 and earlier
At the beginning of 2012, the ONIX International Steering Committee – the group that guides the future development of the ONIX standard – announced that full support for ONIX version 2.1 would end at the end of 2014, and that all users were strongly advised to update their systems and migrate to ONIX 3.0. The three year notice period ensured that adequate time was available for planning, budgeting and development of updated systems.
Note that ONIX 2.1 did not ‘stop working’ on 1st January 2015 – it is still usable, but it will not receive the level of support that it formerly had. In particular, online documentation has been archived and online DTD/XSD support for XML validation has been removed.
It is possible that because of the withdrawal of official support, organisations currently able to receive both 2.1 and 3.0 will request 3.0 only soon after the sunset date. Any organisation using ONIX 2.1 (and even a few using 2.0) should ensure that a plan for migration to ONIX 3.0 is in place.
If you are using 2.1, the removal of the XML tools – the DTD and XSD files hosted on EDItEUR’s website – may cause problems in your IT systems.
If your ONIX applications rely on access to ONIX 2.1 DTD and XSD files on the EDItEUR website, then you must enable a workaround to avoid failures after sunset. Avoiding such failures is straightforward, but requires the use of a local copy of the various DTD and XSD files.
Organisations using commercial applications to create or manage their ONIX data should check with their software provider, as many will have implemented a local copy of the DTD and XSD files within their application already.
For those organisations with in-house applications that carry out validation of ONIX 2.1 files, or which require access to the DTD or XSD in constructor functions or for any other reason, there are many ways to implement this workaround, and EDItEUR has published outline instructions:
You can download Release 2.1 revision 03 and 04 documentation and XML support files.
- Release 2.1 format specifications (revision 03) with codelists Issue 27 (PDF version)
- Release 2.1 format specifications (revisions 03/04) with codelists Issue 27 (HTML version) note that this HTML version includes the Product Record Format and XML Message Specification in a single document (where PDF versions of the documentation includes separate documents)
- Release 2.1 DTD and graphical structure diagrams (revision 03)
- Release 2.1 XSD schema (revision 03) with codelists Issue 27
- Release 2.1 format specifications (revision 04) with codelists Issue 27 – note that Revision 04 is intended for use in Japan only
Documentation and XML support files are also available for the older Revision 02, 01 and 00 of ONIX 2.1. The updated files for Revision 03 and 04 (above) are strongly recommended as they contain important improvements and corrections.
- Release 2.1 format specifications (revision 02) with codelists Issue 11 (PDF version)
- Release 2.1 DTD and structure diagrams (revision 02)
- Release 2.1 DTD and structure diagrams (revision 01)
- Release 2.1 DTD (revision 00)
The ONIX for Books Supply Update message format was developed at the request of a number of ONIX user groups to enable price and availability and other supply-related data to be updated without the need to re-send a complete descriptive record for the product in question.
In effect, the Supply Update format allows the ONIX 2.1 Supply Detail and/or Market Representation composites, together with a very small number of related elements, to be replaced without sending any other parts of the ONIX record.
Use of the Supply Updates format is entirely optional. Its adoption should be agreed between trading partners or within an ONIX user group before it is brought into use.
The only release is Release 1.0, dated August 2006, and consistent with the main ONIX for Books Release 2.1, support for it has now been reduced. Archived documentation and XML support files remain available. An outline specification is given in the Overview, which must be used in conjunction with the full specifications of the applicable ONIX for Books release.
- Download Supply Update Release 1.0 Overview (PDF)
- Download Supply Update Release 1.0 XML DTD and graphical views (ZiP)
- Download Supply Update Release 1.0 XML Schema with codelists Issue 27 (ZIP)
As with ONIX 2.1, the online DTD and XSD files which were previously available have been sunsetted.
An ONIX 3.0 equivalent of the Supply Update format is unnecessary: it is simply a particular type of 'Block update' containing various identifiers and Block 6 only.
Release 2.0 was published in July 2001, replacing the earlier Release 1.2.1. It was superseded by the initial revision of Release 2.1 in June 2003, and is now considered obsolete.
Specifications and support files for ONIX 2.0 and earlier are no longer downloadable. They may be available by direct request from EDItEUR.
The ONIX 1.0 specification was initially released in January 2000, and quickly followed by an International pilot release 1.0 (May 2000), 1.1 (July 2000), 1.2 (November 2000) and 1.2.1 (April 2001).
Specifications and support files for ONIX 1.2.1 and earlier are no longer downloadable. They may be available by direct request from EDItEUR.